Croatians in South Australia
There are over 3,500 Croatian-born residents in South Australia and many more of Croatian descent, in total it's a community of approximately 10,000 people. The strength of this community reflects both the success of multiculturalism in this state and the ongoing commitment of Croats to maintaining their heritage.
- The Croatian Ethnic School Est. 1966,
in Croatian Club Brompton
- The Croatian Radio Hour, Est. 1976
The Croatian community today is thriving and it continues to generate new responses to the changing times. In aged care, there is now a modern facility shared with Ukrainian and Belarusian peoples, while the Croatian Medical Aid Foundation raises funds for medical equipment in Croatia. Meanwhile the Croatian Chamber of Commerce reflects the influence of Croats in the commercial world. A recent initiative is the founding of the Australian Croatian Historical Society.
One of the many challenges is to maintain the language and culture of Croatia for future generations. The commitment of so many Croats, both past and present, to the betterment of their community, and to South Australia as a whole, provides a strong foundation upon which to take up this challenge.
The Croatian communities members are active within a number of organisations including:
- The Croatian Club Adelaide est. June 1961,
Located in Brompton
- The Croatian Soccer Club Est. 1952,
Located in Gepps Cross
- The Croatian Sports Centre Est. 1998,
State Sports Park, Gepps Cross
- Croatian Catholic Centre Est. 1956
- Croatian Sporting Club Pt. Lincoln Est. 1984
- Croatian Whyalla West Soccer Club Est 1960
- Australian-Croatian Community Club Mount Gambier
- Croatian Club Riverland Est 1966
- Croatian Club Coober Pedy Est. 1980
At the 2006 Census 50,993 persons resident in Australia identified themselves as having been born in Croatia, representing about 0.25% of the Australian population. The Census also noted 118,046 persons identified themselves as having Croatian ancestry, either alone or in combination with another ancestry.